Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Shooting in Mammoth

This last weekend I went out to Mammoth to catch up with Charlie Barrett and film some "newish" lines he put up in the area.  The weekend went great minus a blizzard on Sunday.  Charlie was good enough to hike up to Lessons with me and allow me to film his hardest line to date.  After which he proceeded to dangle me by my feet so I could retrieve his coffee thermos from a hole in the talus (long story). 

After this we drove up to a new area he is developing and he showed me The End of the Road, an amazing V12 that climbs out a steep prow onto a highball balancey face.  Charlie was able to burn laps on a V13 and two V12's while hiking in two huge Asana pads and he even had enough energy to go to work that night. The guy is a work horse, makes a killer breakfast burrito, and is a good example of a sponsored athlete.

Although Charlie seems like a scary dude, he is damn big, he is probably when of the nicest guys in the game. He was more than happy to put me up, work move after move and was open to sharing his local spots with others.  He is currently working on a guide book for Mammoth Bouldering and it looks legit! If you ever get a chance to catch up with the guy make sure you watch his technique, his footwork is damn good, he has a crazy highball mentality, and can thug his way through just about anything while strumming acoustic guitar.

Watch for exclusive footage of Charlie on DPM in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment